Financial Aid Frequently Asked Questions

Financial Aid

Can I use financial aid to pay for prerequisites at Birthingway?

No. At this time, federal student aid is available only to enrolled Midwifery students.


I noticed that my award letter includes a Cost of Attendance. What is it and how is it determined?

Each year, Birthingway estimates the cost to attend your program based on the following:

  • Tuition and Fees
  • Texts and Equipment
  • Room and Board
  • Personal/Miscellaneous
  • Transportation

Cost of Attendance may vary depending on full-time, half-time or part-time attendance. This number is used to help you gauge your annual expenses while attending Birthingway, and to ensure that Birthingway does not over award financial aid. Your estimated financial assistance (grants, loans, scholarships, etc.) cannot exceed your Cost of Attendance minus your Expected Family Contribution from the FAFSA.

The Cost of Attendance is an estimate and may not reflect your actual expenses. Please speak with the Finance Coordinator for questions you have related to your statement or charges incurred on your student account.

I plan to enroll at another school while attending Birthingway. Can I receive aid at both schools?

No, you may not receive federal financial aid from two schools at the same time. You may, however, wish to enter into a Consortium Agreement between Birthingway and another institution. Most students enter into a Consortium Agreement when completing their general education requirements at another school, while still taking coursework or clinical training credits at Birthingway.

The Consortium Agreement allows you to combine applicable credits from both schools. For example, if you attend half time (6 quarter credits) at Birthingway and are completing 6 quarter credits at a local community college to transfer toward your Midwifery Program graduation requirements, you would be considered full time (12 credits) under a Consortium Agreement and awarded aid accordingly.

To enter into a Consortium Agreement, please speak to Birthingway’s Financial Aid Officer. You will need to complete Consortium Agreement paperwork, which is due at least one week before the Enrollment Confirmation date of the term covered by this consortium agreement.

What is my enrollment status and why is that important?

Enrollment status is based on the number of credits for which you are registered each term.

Full-time = 12 quarter credits
3/4 time = 9-11 quarter credits
Half time = 6-8 quarter credits
Part time = 5 or fewer quarter credits

Certain grants have different award amounts depending on your enrollment status. To receive loan disbursements and/or to prevent your loans from going into repayment, you must maintain at least half-time status.

Your enrollment status is verified on the Monday after each core day has met once for the term (Enrollment Confirmation Day). No changes are made to your aid after this date, unless you drop or withdraw from a course without beginning attendance, in which case your Pell Grant award may be recalculated.

What is an Expected Family Contribution (EFC)?

Your Expected Family Contribution is the amount that you are expected to contribute annually to finance your post-secondary education. This number is calculated based on information that you provide on the FAFSA and will be printed on your Student Aid Report. The EFC is also used to calculate some grant awards.

When will I receive my aid check?

Financial aid disbursements typically occur the third week of each term. You may choose for Birthingway to hold any funds that result in a credit on your student account, or for Birthingway to release all funds to you by check. If you choose to have the credit balance refunded to you, you will receive notice of the availability of the check within two weeks of the funds being applied to your account.

I am getting an outside scholarship and/or a private loan. Will this affect my other aid?
You must inform the Financial Aid Officer of any outside funds that you receive. Depending on the amount of the additional funds, Birthingway may be required to reduce other aid in your financial aid package.

I already have a bachelor’s degree. Do I qualify for aid?

If you already have a bachelor’s degree, you may qualify for Federal Subsidized and/or Unsubsidized Student Loans. Unfortunately, those with a previous bachelor’s degree will not qualify for any of the federal or state grant programs in which Birthingway currently participates. Please contact the Financial Aid Officer to discuss your loan eligibility. Don’t forget to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)!

Do I need to fill out another application to get a federal student loan?

If you have a completed FAFSA on file with Birthingway, and are eligible for a loan, you do not need to fill out other application material. However, you will need to do the following:

  • Sign your award letter to accept the loan amounts.
  • Complete Entrance Counseling (first time borrower only)
  • Complete a Multi-Year Master Promissory Note

The Financial Aid Officer will contact you about these requirements.

How does my academic performance affect my financial aid?

Aid recipients must be making Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) in order to continue to receive aid. SAP is reviewed annually after winter term. To make SAP you must have received a grade of Complete in at least 75% of the credits attempted in the academic year.

Students who do not make SAP will not be able to receive financial aid. For more information on this policy, please consult the current Student Handbook and Catalog and/or speak with your program coordinator.

I just got married. Should I change my marital status on the FAFSA?

You should change your marital status if a change would better reflect your ability to pay or would address an inequality. Birthingway accepts changes to the FAFSA marital status on a case-by-case basis until September 1st each year. If your marital status changes after September 1st, you will need to wait until the following award letter to report your new marital status.

Please contact the Financial Aid Officer. You will be required to submit proof of marital status change (such as a marriage license), and other pertinent information (such as your spouse’s income).